Tourism without Plastic
Responsible tourism is nothing but the tourism without harming the environment and encouraging people to take their individual steps to keep our environment pollution free. Plastic is one of those major components, which is polluting our environment. So, it is our responsibility to keep this environment healthy by making it plastic free.
What is plastic pollution?
Before go more further on Tourism without Plastic, we should know what is actually plastic pollution??
Plastic is a non-biodegradable element, made from toxic compounds known to cause illness. Plastic pollution is when plastics have gathered in an area and providing a negative impact on natural environment.
Effects of Plastic on Environment:
- 100,000 marine animals are dying each year due to plastic related incidents.
- We are losing 1 million seabirds due to excessive use of plastic and plastic related incidents.
- Plastic releases harmful chemicals which mixes into the ground and makes the soil and soil-water harmful for agriculture and other human uses.
- Plastic degrade faster in the sea and this is the reason we are throwing them into the ocean or sea. But, it is releasing harmful chemicals (Styrene, Trimer, Bisphenol A) into the ocean water and increasing Global Warming.
- Marine animals are dying eating plastics every year which is a big red flag for our ecosystem.
- It makes the air toxic and harmful if we burn it. Due to this we are bound to breath dangerous air and spoiling our health for long run.
- The most dangerous thing is plastic actually never goes away. It breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces but never degrade completely.
- Even plankton, the tiniest creatures in our oceans, are eating micro-plastics and absorbing their hazardous chemicals. The tiny, broken down pieces of plastic are displacing the algae needed to sustain larger sea life who feed on them.
Which areas we should focus:
We are using plastics entire day in different ways. From the toothbrush to a furniture set, its becoming a daily necessary product. Interestingly, in this way we are going to make a ocean of plastic. So SAY NO TO PLASTIC.
- Instead of using plastic toothbrush we should use bamboo toothbrush, which is available online. It is long-lasting and Eco friendly.
- Say no to plastic straw is another way to avoid it.
- Do not use plastic water bottles. There are different types of steel water bottles are available in the market and we can afford one for our travel. Another interesting and Eco-friendly travel option is buying a filter water bottle.
- We all walk around wearing our favorite clothing brands, shoes and watches, so don’t be seen carrying a drab, throwaway plastic bag. When you’re travelling you’ll likely have a bunch of stuff to carry around (including shopping!) so you may as well, carry a beautifully made, reusable shopping bag.
- Plastic packets of chips is a common trend in tourist community. It is better for environment and health if you select natural snacks like bananas and other fruits.
- Every hotel and restaurant should be plastic free such as no plastic furniture, no plastic bottles, no plastic cutlery and straws.
- Encourage others to say know to plastic.
West Bengal Tourism’s Initiatives on Tourism without Plastic:
We are glad to say that West Bengal Tourism has already taken initiatives against plastic pollution and they are promoting Eco-tourism on a large scale.
This is an isolated tourist spot nestled in the lap of the wonderful Sundarbans. Tourist love this place for its abundant nature and vast expansion of river like Herobhanga and Bidyadhari.
The Government of West Bengal Department of Tourism and Sundarbans Affairs are working together to set up an Eco-tourism hub in this beautiful island.
The hub would have both star category resorts and budget hotels, cottages and swimming pools, lake, club house and other attractive facilities.
This is a place just 25 km from Siliguri with the backdrop of Sikkim Hills. It is a part of Tarai-Dooars forest circuit.
A mega Eco tourism hub has been proposed in Gojoldoba.
Star category Eco-Resort, Budget Eco Resort-I, Budget Eco Resort-II and a Hospitality Training Institute are on the master plan.
It is an amazing attraction in Siliguri. It is actually a wild animal park. Bengal Safari indeed a nice opportunity to experience the wildlife and nature.
Here Government has taken the initiative to make it Eco-friendly tourist destination. Plastics are strictly prohibited in this area. There is a special security team to take care of it.
It is an amazing village in Darjeeling district where you can get a panoramic view of snow-capped Himalayan range.
This place is a perfect Eco-tourism destination in West Bengal. This village has only 18 families and 100 villagers. They cultivate organic crop.
There is a nice Eco-resort in Chatakpur which is under Senchal Wild Life Sanctuary.